I’ve been a bit negligent about updating this lately. I’ll blame part of it on being sick for a good portion of February. Now that we’ve hit March and I’m healthy, there is a different problem that keeps me away from the computer. It can best be summarized as this:
With an upcoming out-of-state trip shortening the ski season, I imagine you can guess which is winning. Life is too short to be terribly concerned.
And no, I haven’t been completely slacking. Now that all the work that went into the big project at UAF begins to fade from memory, it’s time to start trolling for more public work. There’s a lot out there, and casting a wide net while expecting a lot of rejection seems to be the best strategy.
I did have the fascinating experience lately of being asked to sit on a jury for a residency (won’t say what, not in Alaska) and seeing what the CAFE system looks like from the backside. The advice that I was given at last ASCA conference on using the computer submission system suddenly made even more sense – make sure your images are cohesive, make sure your photographs are REALLY good. One thing that I found interesting was that I only saw four images. I’ve never applied to a call that asked for less than six, leading me to believe that I didn’t see all the work. (Making cohesive all the more important. . . .if you had an image that “explained” a transition or bridged a big gap and it didn’t appear it could really hurt your chances.) I was only part of the jury and I’m sure the next round went to people who saw the full application. The other thing that surprised me was how clearly the best work stood out from the rest. I anticipated that I would have to agonize over the decisions, but it wasn’t like that at all.
Brandon’s been working hard to finish the rest of the boxes for the Rasmuson Foundation grant. We may have learned some lessons that other woodworkers trying to operate in the art realm learn – it is very easy to put far more time in than you plan. Glad to have the financial support of a grant to help offset some of our mistakes! The next part of this project will be simpler on the woodworking end. I’m planning to finish my part of a few of these in the next two weeks.
So, a bit more time to finish some things up before vacation. I have another good friend/fellow artist taking over both care of the compound and working for her upcoming show in the studio. I like that the space doesn’t sit unused – it’s kind of like a violin that needs to be played. Glad it won’t be me for a little while.